Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Frankly, My Dear Classic Film Survey

Rianna over at Frankly, My Dear has been hosting a Classic Film Survey for the month of February. I said earlier in the month that I wanted to take part... it's better late than never right? Sorry for the delay, life has just been hectic. So here it goes...

1. Favorite classic Disney?

 
It is very hard for me to answer this because I am such a Disney fanatic, but I chose Sleeping Beauty (1959). I went with this film because of how beautifully done the illustrations were. You can literally take a frame from any part of the film and it would look like a piece of art! I especially love the scenes where Aurora is walking through the woods singing with all of the animals.

2. Favorite film from the year 1939?

 
This one is pretty easy... The Women. An all woman cast with Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russell and Joan Crawford? What more could you ask for?

3. Favorite Carole Lombard screwball role?

  
While I am a little ashamed to say so, I've only seen one of Carole's films... Mr and Mrs Smith (1941). So I will go with that one as my favorite. I did a review on it, you can read here. I must say that after seeing this picture, I will definitely be watching more of her films.

4. Favorite off screen couple?


Jean Harlow and William Powell. They seemed to be deeply in love. Their 6 month engagement came to an end with Harlow's premature death.

5. Favorite pair of best friends?


Ive always loved the behind-the-scene story of the friendship Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe developed on the set of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953). I love that Jane would stop by Marilyn's dressing room and walk with her on set because she knew how terrified Monroe was. A true friend.


 
6. Favorite actor with a mustache?

  
Clark Gable by far. What a fine piece of man! I even did a post highlighting his wonderful 'stache for Moustaches for Movember!

7. Favorite blonde actress?

  
Now this puts me in a weird situation. I love so many blondes! But I will have to pass over Jean Harlow and Jayne Mansfield for my all time favorite... Marilyn Monroe. I don't think an explanation is needed... is it?

8. Favorite pre-code?

 
I love the Jean Harlow film Red-Headed Woman (1932). She knows what she wants, she goes after it and doesnt feel any shame about it... my kind of gal!

9. Which studio would you have liked to join?

 
Most likely MGM. I would have wanted to be apart of those musicals! Singing? Dancing? Yes please!

10. Favorite common on screen pairing that SHOULD have gotten married?

 
I love all the films I have seen with Joan Crawford and Clark Gable! They looked so good together and their chemistry on screen is unmatched!

11. Favorite I Love Lucy episode?

 
Season 1 Episode 2: Be A Pal... Lucy + Carmen Miranda = HILARIOUS!

12.  Out of these actresses which one do you like best: Lucille Ball, Ingrid Bergman, Natalie Wood, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Greer Garson, Grace Kelly, or Katharine Hepburn?

 
I would have to go with Audrey Hepburn. I love so many of her films and I love her off-screen charity work. She was a beautiful person inside and out. And let's not forget how wonderful her wardrobe was her entire career!

13. Shadowy film noir from the 1940’s or splashy colorful musicals from the 1950’s?

 
Splashy colorful musical of the 50's... Gentlemen Prefer Blondes!

14. Actor or actress with the best autograph.

  
Bette Davis by far...

15. A childhood photo of either your favorite actress or actor.

 
Jean Harlow and Fred Astaire!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Craig, thanks for doing the survey! I really enjoyed reading your answers and all the lovely graphics you included as well. I chose MGM too; all those stars! Most of my favorites worked there in the 30s, 40s. "Be a Pal" is one of my favorites episodes, too. I love when the record player gets jammed. Thanks once again for taking this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch more Lombard in 2012...even if that wasn't one of your New Year's resolutions, make it a belated one. You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete